Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What is normal?

Not long ago, I had the privilege of being asked to do a radio commentary for a wonderful NPR show called To the Best of Our Knowledge. It aired on June 16 in a show called "What Is Normal?" which includes, among other things, a fascinating description of the Amish ritual of Rumspringa.

My piece was about the difficulty of knowing whether my 14-year-old daughter was going through the "normal" pangs of adolescence or something more serious. If I could figure out how to post the MP3 file here, you could listen to it. Or you can go to to the website and listen to it here. It's a cool show. My piece comes about 24 and a half minutes in.

1 comment:

Carrie Arnold said...

Harriet,

Though I mainly listened to your part, I did find the Amish Rumspringa piece interesting, too. I do have very distant Amish/Mennonite relatives, so it's interesting on a personal note as well.